UTAH - Frequently Asked Questions

The Surplus Line Association of Utah also maintains a list of Frequently Asked Questions on its website. To review that list of FAQ's, click here.

How do I submit a filing in InsCipher for the SLA of Utah to review/approve?

  1. Log in to your account in InsCipher. If you are unsure of your account information, you can reach out to Sylvia Bruno or InsCipher Support
  2. Once logged in, follow the instructions found here.

Why did I receive an e-mail saying my license was declined?

The state only allows one instance of a license in the InsCipher portal. If you received an email stating the license was declined it is likely because it is already associated with a User Account in the InsCipher portal. Please refer to this article for further information.

How do I pay my invoice?

Payment to the SLA of Utah for stamping fees and Surplus Lines taxes is done electronically through InsCipher. For instructions on setting up your payment account, please refer to this article.

I have a flagged filing. How do I correct the issue?

When the reviewers at SLA of Idaho have identified missing or incorrect information, they will return the filing by flagging it for correction. Review this article for more detail on correcting a flagged filing. For further questions regarding flagged filings, please contact Sylvia Bruno.

I submitted a filing to the state before it was "ready." How do I correct this?

Contact Sylvia Bruno with the filing number in question. She will provide further instruction for correction.


Revision History:

Date Edit
12/01/2023 Reviewed for accuracy